Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy 237th Birthday!

It was 237 years ago that America (the USA) claimed its independence from Britain.  Our Independence Day is also known as the Fourth of July or simply July 4th.  In July 1776, the population of the US was 2.5 million.  Today there are 316 million. 

Independence Day celebrations usually take place outdoors.  Family and friends gather together for a barbecue.  Old Glory (American flag) is displayed at many homes and red, white and blue decorations are put out.  In the evening, fireworks are ignited.  I have fond memories of watching the fireworks from a tree near my house or driving over to my Aunt Catherine's house as she lived just a block away from where they were shot from. 

I miss the celebrations now that I live in Japan but fortunately for me, summer festivals in Japan often have a great fireworks show!




7 comments:

hirokazu said...

Hi! I'm hirokazu!
I read blog was very interesting!
If you like,please look my blog♩↓
http://t.co/JPN6CGtrxV
bye-bye:)

Kotori niwano Tuseday3 said...

I was surprised to very long history of America.Did you go to festival this yesr?

Anonymous said...

Birthday of the United States has learned the first time that's July 4. from Hokuto Ikarashi

Anonymous said...

I am 3bpe2128 Yoshiyuki Yazawa of Tokai university.
Fireworks are very clean.

Unknown said...

I'm Mahmoud boustaji I enjoyed to read some information about Usa

Unknown said...

happy birthday usa

Salem said...

237th bday ....
Uae is only 42 years old.
Happy bday USA!!!